Maths Curriculum Page
At St Paul's all children learn through a range of approaches to facilitate the best possible outcome.
Why Maths Is Important.
At St Paul’s Catholic Primary School, children are encouraged to enjoy Mathematics and become enthusiastic mathematicians by developing their skills, knowledge and understanding through practical experiences which have relevance and purpose in everyday situations. We intend our maths curriculum to be accessible to all and will maximise the ability of every child.
It is important that children develop the skills of numeracy to become lifelong learners. They should be able to apply these skills in different situations across the curriculum and in daily living outside school.
We deliver lessons that are creative and engaging. We want children to make rich connections across mathematical ideas to develop fluency, mathematical reasoning and competence in solving increasingly sophisticated problems. As our pupils progress, we intend for our pupils to be able to understand the world, have the ability to reason mathematically, have an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics, and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
What Maths looks like at St Paul's
- In Early years the children work towards achieving the early learning goals through practical and fun activities. Activities are adult led and support children of all abilities.
- Throughout KS1 and KS2 we follow the White Rose Hub mastery planning. We ensure the children have the opportunity to use the CPA (concrete/context, pictorial and abstract) approach to learning.
- Maths lessons are daily throughout all key stages.
- Children are given opportunities to reinforce their mathematical knowledge throughout the whole curriculum. Teachers also try to link the children’s problem solving to their current topic where appropriate.
- To support the learning of times tables, Y2-Y6 have access to “Times Table Rockstars”. A program on which children can compete with each other to getter faster and more accurate at their times tables. Each term we have a whole school “Rock Battle” which is very exciting.
- Maths challenge club is run throughout the year for specially invited children. This is aimed at the more confident mathematicians.
Useful Maths Website
Times Table Rock Stars is a fun and challenging programme designed to help pupils master the times tables. https://play.ttrockstars.com/auth/school
NumBots is all about every child achieving the “triple win” of understanding, recall and fluency in mental addition and subtraction, so that they move from counting to calculating- https://play.numbots.com/#/intro
Sing along and learn all about numbers with the Numberblocks! https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/shows/numberblocks