Relationship and Sex Education
RSE is lifelong learning about physical, moral and emotional development. It is about the understanding of the importance of marriage or other committed relationships for family life, stable and loving relationships, respect love and care. It is about the development of the pupil’s knowledge and understanding of themselves as sexual beings, about what it means to be fully human, called to live in right relationships with self and others and being enabled to make moral decisions in conscience. It is also about the teaching of sex, sexuality and sexual health. It enhances the self-worth and confidence of each individual and encourages mutually respectful relationships and empathy for others.
A Journey in Love
This developmental programme of Sex and Relationship Education is written for Teachers, Parents and Children in Catholic Schools.
The Programme covers the following main areas of development for children in each year group, starting in reception:
Physical - Changes in our bodies as we grow, progressing to our uniqueness in the eyes of God.
Social - Interaction with other people and how our relationships grow and develop.
Emotional - How our feelings towards others change as we grow.
Intellectual - Understanding the importance of relationships with other people and God.
Spiritual - Understanding and celebrating our relationship with God.
These are the topics in each year group:
- NURSERY - Wonder at God's Love
- RECEPTION - God loves each of us in our uniqueness
- YEAR ONE - We meet God's love in our family
- YEAR TWO - We meet God's love in the community
- YEAR THREE - How we live in love
- YEAR FOUR - God loves us in our differences
- YEAR FIVE - God loves me in my changing and development
- YEAR SIX - The wonder of God's love in creating new life