Internet Safety Day.

Date: 9th Feb 2016 @ 4:08pm

Today year 5 have done lots of work on staying safe on the internet. For your homework, I would like you to write a discussion text answering the question: "should children be banned from using the internet?" It is very important that you proof-read and edit your work before submitting it to the blog! 

Remember to include: a balanced argument, connectives (both for adding information and contrasting); modal verbs; and punctuation for parenthesis. 

Also, remember that (apart from perhaps the conclusion) discussion texts are written in 3rd person. 

 

Please login in as a parent or pupil to leave comment on blog

Parent login
Pupil login

Ben Crabtree wrote:

Should children be allowed on the internet?

Since the arrival of the internet in 1969 there has been much discussion as to weather or not children should be allowed to go on it. And this is all because some people use the internet for the wrong reasons.

Dr Joe a renown physical mycologist, has argued that children should be allowed to go on the internet because it is packed with lots of learning fun and knowledge. Furthermore, if you ban the internet from children you are also banning sumdog.
Also, children might not be able to go on their school website and do their home work.

Dr Inter-net who, is also a renown physical mycologist ha s argued that the internet should be banned for children because they might be looking at inappropriate images and text. Moreover, children might put all of their details like phone number, email address and things like that. Then those details could be found on the internet by other people and they could phone cabs or food to other people's houses.

Conclusion.

I personally think that Dr Joe is 110% right and the internet should not be banned.
So my decision is FOR THE INTERNET!!!

Harry wrote:

Should children be banned from using the internet?

Since the arrival of the internet in 1969 there has been much discussion as to whether or not children should go on it. In this discussion text you will see both sides of the argument-children who love it and governments who think it should be banned for children.

Here are some reasons why children should be able to go on the internet. Firstly , you can do lots of research about things that you don't know about like the Tudors, Romans and Vikings. Additionally, they wouldn't be able to go on school website and go on Sumdog. Moreover, they wouldn't be able to go on Read For My School when it comes back on and reading is very important in your life.

Also, if you didn't have internet you couldn't Skype your family if they were in a different country.

On the other hand it has detrimental effects on young children's brains and life. For example if you are over 13 and you have Facebook sometimes you can get comments that upset you. Furthermore, if people ask for your personal secrets and you give them away you may become bankrupt.

Having considered both sides of the argument, I personally believe that children should be able to go on the internet because its good for your learning. Even though I think that children should be able to go on the internet they might get banned from it because of the governments.

Weronika W wrote:

Should children be allowed on the internet?

Since the arrival of the internet in England, there has been much discussion as to wether or not children should be allowed on this dangerous internet.This ranging controversial is a vital important because grumpy teacher's and angrey govements ar makeing good points and sierous claims that the internet should be blocked.

Doctor Wilczek,Doctor Kurczs and Doctor Phillips,reown philosophy's have argued that the internet shouldn't be banned.Fristly,if children were ment to do homework on the website they won't be able to do it.Additionly,if children were ment to find out facts or reserch anything they couldn't be able to with out the internet so they would just put on what they all ready know about thier fabulous topic and it will be rubish.Furthermore,the brilliant children wouldn't be able to build on thier fantastic inteligences and knowlegde with out the help of sumdog and lexia which is on the internet.Moreover,thanks to the internet you can easyly find the track when your lost,or see lot's of wonderful places,buy tickets for the train or plane at home,order food when your ill not moving from your house,lot's of people emigrate but very quickly thanks to the internet you can communicate with your family far away,by using the internet children can do thier homework quicker,also you can learn other langues.

On the other hand,the internet is good because it help's you develop your reading skill's with your math's,spelling's and english.

In school's we can develop our skill's in I.T.C.to understand how to use a compueter,a key borad,the internet and what diffrent codeing's you can think of to make a complete shape online.The most importantthng is use the internet senseblely and safely.

Leah wrote:

Should children be banned from using the Internet?

Since the making of the Internet in 1969, there has been much discussion as to whether or not children should be allowed to use it.this raging controversy is of vital importance because parents and governments around the world are making serious claims that this popular past time should be blocked!

Mr Allan -a renown Internet psychologist- has argued that the using of the internet by children should be banned because it has detrimental effects on the brains of young children. Sir has suggested that by the changing of Internet time to more beneficial activities, children's intelligence could improve by up to 50%.There are several reasons why this may be the case.First,children would make some more friends. Furthermore,by not seeing rude pictures at night could improve children's sleeping patterns (which scientists closely link to improve performance at school).That means that England's economy will much stronger in the future.Moreover,psychologists argue that the incredable amont of children that get bullied on the internet is harmful in the children's future.

On the other hand, a huge majority of England think that the internet SHOULDN'T be banned from the children.First of all,they point to the fact that on the Internet children can learn more stuff like they can go on sumdog and the school website to do English home work and infact you can read on the internet. It is baskikly the same your just not holding the book and the laptop can flik the pages for you.the skills you can achive are really really simpal like on sumdog you can not only achive pets your pets can do triks and if you pass a level and get a new rank.

Having considered the argument from both sides,I personally believe that the Internat should not be banned across England for it is a grate risk,but i do believe that the time should be around 1-2 hour.
Thank you for reading.

Ella T wrote:

Should children be allowed to play on the internet?

Since the arrvial of the internet there has been much discussion as to whether or not children should be allowed on it for it is very unsuitible for kinds

Dr David a reknow internet phycologists has a very strong opinion that children under the age of 18 should be allowed on it. He has suggested that thay could ban the internet for young children because it is dangerous and filled with rude pictures that kids look at. Also there has been a discovery that over 200 kids in the world have been bullyed online and it is called cyba bullying where people go online and start saying mean things to children. This can be used on websites, texting instergram, and of course Facebook. On the other hand there are some bad people out there who have tricked children into thinking that thay are the same age as you but thay are actually ten years older than you and tri to kidnap you. Also there are some games that are susposed to be for kids but thay are not like my talking tom a super fun game that lets you adopted a cute little kitten that tallks but really it just finds out all your personal information. It is the same with talking angela talking ginger and talking Ben.

However there are some educational games like sumdog a amazing game that year 5 love to play it helps your maths skills grow and you can have your own character that you can make however you want . You can also have your own house that you can make however you like too. Also you can shop for clothes and decoration on sumdog. And don't forget about purple mash wich helps you with your history , writing maths and of course art. And not to mention online books where there is millions of childrens books to read. Plus there is a website called read for my school that most schools do in England where there are all sorts of books for children there for it should not be banned and if you want to keep it safe you can just put child safety mode on. This means that all the rude pictures and videos won't be on anymore.

So the internet be banned for kids of should it stay but some things on the internet should be banned.

Skyla H wrote:

The internet should't be banned because it is a fun game for every one and it can help you with your sums and spelling because there is a website and it can help you with your spelling and there is sumdog, so you will have to ban sumdog and we will not be the champions so you might want to change your mind

I'm on my negative side now and here's my reason why,there are scared things on the Internet like scary movies and pictures.Carring on, there are bullies on the Internet and when you say to meet on Twitter,Facebook and u achorlly meet the person can kidnap u or worst,well If they are older then you,so those are my reason why I think both are good ideas for the Internet.

Faith Moore wrote:

This discussion text will inform you as to weather or not children can go on the Internet. This will also have the two points of perspective from different phycolagy specialist.Since the invention of the internet, ( in 1969 ), has spread world wide children in England are addicted to the bright colours and fun games, but I will show you in this text can children be trusted to go on it if there under

Dr bill, who is a renown expert in Cognitive Phycolagy, has argued that the majority of children go on speical websites to help and improve math, English and other important subjects. To ban the internet childrens mental skills could decrease by 25 %.

On the other hand, Dr Sneed is an educational phycologist is arguing that children are too imature to know what and what not to go on. Also there has been a dremati

Joe S wrote:

Should Children Be Allowed On The Internet?

Since the arrival of the problematic internet, there has been much discussion whether or not children aged under 18 should be allowed on it. This raging controversy is of vital importance because governments around the world are thinking this popular past time should be blocked for under 18's.

Dr James-a well known E-safety expert- argues that under 18's should be allowed on the internet because it has many beneficial web sights. One of these web sights is called Sumdog. It is proven that if a child uses Sumdog there maths will improve by 78%. Another reason why the internet is beneficial is because you could research homework or a science fair project. In addition, children could contact family over the internet.

On the other hand, the internet is quit dangerous. First, adults could trick kids into thinking they are 10/11. Then the child could go out with the adult and be kidnapped. Furthermore, someone could hack your kids computer over the internet. Moreover, a pop up could appear and download a virus onto the computer.

Having considered the argument from both sides I think the internet should not be banned because the educational web sights are to beneficial and could help. I also believe that people under 18 are mature enough to not friend a stranger.

Reece wrote:

Since the arrival of the Internet, there has been much discussion as to weather or not children can go on it. This raging controversy, has a vital importance because teachers around the world are making serious clames that this fascinating thing should be blocked.

Furthermore,80% of people around the world are saying that this important thing for children shouldn't be blocked. At approximately 20% of people are saying it shouldn't be blocked.

Adam P wrote:

Recently, there has been much discussion by psychologists, teachers, parents and media as to whether or not children should be allowed to go on the Internet. The main concern is about children's safety while surfing the web, playing online games or using social media.

Both online gaming and using social media such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram bring the danger of cyber bullying, stealing sensitive personal information and being tricked into trusting a serious criminal. In addition, even such innocent activities as browsing the internet or doing research for homework bring the risk of coming across unsuitable content. According to Dr. Knowitall, a renowned children's psychologist, being exposed to such content could have detrimental effects on the developing brains of young children.

However, the positive side of children being able to use the internet cannot be ignored.If children were completely banned from the worldwide web they couldn't use it as a learning tool (as everybody knows the internet is the greatest source of easy to access knowledge.)They would miss out on all the educational games that they play at school to improve their learning. Additionally, if internet was banned it would be very difficult for children to do any homework research ,especially that so many libraries are being closed down these days.

In conclusion,I personally believe that the internet shouldn't be banned and children should be kept up to date with modern technology that it brings.However, children should be supervised by parents and teachers when on the web and they shouldn't be allowed to play online with strangers.I also think that there should be a certain age restriction for going on social media because that is where the biggest risk comes from.

Emily wrote: wrote:

Since the year 1989 there has been much discussion as to whether or not children under 18 should be aloud to go on to the incredible internet. This raging controversy is at the most vital important because some teachers and most Governments around the world are making serious claims that under 18`s should be banned from the incredible internet.

Dr .Dennis a renown internet safety psychologist has argued that the unbelievable internet should be banned for children under 18. First of all he pointed out the fact that children not capable of knowing what is appropriate for them to see. Furthermore, by not looking at a bright blue screen late at night all of children`s sleep patterns might improve by around 90% (which scientists closely link to 90% improvement in school).In addition, children can end up giving away personal details to a extremely naughty person who might start sending nasty messages to them. Moreover, these incapable children might get a pop up that leads to a fake web page and they pay for a virus so then the people who set up the virus will be causeing trouble as well as getting more money. Also children can get bulled on line or meet a forty year old that says they are 14 and ask your child to go with them to some where and kidnap them.

On the other hand, Dr. Dumbledore and Dr. Potter think that the internet shouldn't be banned because it has all the answers in the world and with out the internet children won`t be able to look things up. Additionally, they have said if the internet was banned all the educational games will be banned as well.

Having considered the argument from both sides, I personally believe that Dr. Dumbledore and Dr. Potter are right and that children should be aloud to go on it even if they are under 18.

Shelby k wrote:

Should children be banned from using the Internet?

Scince the arrival of the Internet in England, Theresa's been much discussion as to wether or not children should be allowed on the Internet.

Dr.k, who is a renown Internet psychologist, has argued that children shouldn't be allowed to go on the Internet because it has rude pictures that any children could accidentally click on. In addition, if children play on a server and start talking to people and they don't now who is listening, they could give away their name and other details.Futhermore, pop ups could came across the screen saying you have won a iPad mini please fill in the following questions, what is your bank details.... Your children could easly tell these details to anyone.Also, if children press on the wrong thing it could lead to a fake website and you could easly get a virus.Moreover, your children could get bullied that you don't know about(which is called cyber bullying.)

On the other hand, the Internet gives children acces to homework and sumdog. Also, it helps with research and expanding your knowledge and it helps you keep in contact with your friends and family.

However, some parents complaine that their children have had bad dreams because they were on the Internet and clicked on the wrong video and accidentally watched a horror movie! Additionally, some child minders say that the children that they look after are scared of the dark because they have seen a scary picture on the Internet.

Moreover, some adults say that the Internet can expand the knowledge of young children and it makes them more curious.Futhermore, the Internet allows children to go on their school website and find out what is happening in their schools.

Consequently, I hope that by considering the points above you may change your mind about banning the Internet for children.

Charlotte wrote:

Child eating Internet...
Will your child get eaten
Up next ?!?

Since the arrival of the Internet in the 1960's, there has been much discussion as to whether or not children should be able to carry on blankly staring at the black and white screen. This raging controversy is of vital importance because, experts believe that some children spend up to 7 hours a day, gazing into the blue screen.

Scientists have consistently argued that late at night, children are continuously staring at the screen. This is not only having detrimental effects on children's brains, but is also interuptting their sleeping patterns. Therefore, some children are not doing their best at school, due to the fact that they are not getting enough sleep.

On the other hand, if you do ban the Internet for children under the age of 18, children's homework will not be at the best standard. Because most children use the Internet for homework, there will not be as much work or information. Also, the incredible invention is known for facilitating the use of software, such as: Sumdog ( a fun game which helps with learning), Purple Mash ( an online website for making projects), and Read For My School ( which is a reading competition).

Many people disagree, arguing that children should not be left in a room by themselves, as they could be doing anything. When they are mot supervised by an adult, they could be looking at inappropriate information, images, or videos that could effect them. On top of that, they could even play on inappropriate games for their age.

In addition, lots of children are being bullied on software games, and it is starting to get out of hand. On Internet games, children are sending horrible messages to people, and finding out personal details. Some people pretend to be friends or act a different age, so they can find out details. Additionally, if children don't turn computers off properly, it could lead to fires.

In conclusion, the Internet may have its disadvantages, but providing children are taught to use it properly and supervised carefully, it is an extremely powerful, educational tool.

Oliver wrote:

Since the arrival of the Internet there has been much discussion as to whether or not children should be able to play it. This is a vital importance of they could go on it.

Dr Jeff and Dr cheese are well know internet experts. They think that the Internet should be banned because if your young child is on the Internet on there own they could be looking at rude pictures and videos and they could even set a vireos on your computer.

On the over hand , if your child gets bulled really bad they could just stay in side and play on the Internet and if they do they could aquelly could be talking online to the bullies.

Jack wrote:

Should the internet be banned for young children?

Since the arrival of the internet there has been lots of discussion as to whether or not children should be allowed to use it for homework activities and to play online games.

Dr T a well known scientist (a specialist in chemistry) says that children will not be able to go on the internet because they could get a virus on their computer which could brake the computer. Children may also arrange to meet someone that they think is an online friend. This could be very dangerous. Also they could buy a game that is over their age or get a really expensive videogame.

Dr C another well known chemist and scientist says children should be trusted to use the internet because they may have to do homework that they could complete using research they do online. Furthermore children could go on educational games like sumdog and be creative on other games like Purplemash and Minecraft. They could have lots of fun as well. Could they be trusted to go on the internet? yes.
conclusion

Now I have seen the argument from both sides, I have decided that the internet shall stay for children. Moreover I think young children should not be silly on the internet and should always be careful! Also they should be cautious when popups appear and should not press them otherwise, they could put a virus on their computer.

Many other people agree with my thoughts and have told the government about my decision. The government have agreed with my opinion and say children should be allowed on it for now.

Isabella H wrote:

Should children be banned from the internet? Yes.

Since the arrival of the internet, young children worldwide have been online. There has been much discussion as to whether or not children should be allowed to use the internet.

Many parents, teachers and governments around the globe agree that the internet is eating up children's brains. Doctor Simon - a renowned internet physiologist - has declared that if the time children were wasting on the internet was changed to more beneficial activities, then the children’s intelligence might improve by 25%. However, the internet is also a great resource of information; therefore, if children did use the internet for learning then their intelligence could actually improve. Although, there are other resources of information available such as books, teachers and parents.

Another reason why children should be banned from the internet is because of the many hours that they are staying on it. The internet is distracting children from spending time with friends and family meaning they’ll become antisocial. However, children could get In contact with family and friends using Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Popjam and many other forms of social media. Although, social media isn’t the same as having a conversation face to face.

As mentioned above, the internet is an excellent way of communicating. Social media is the most popular way of communicating but it can also be used as a way to bully someone. People are more confident about saying nasty things behind a keyboard than they are to that person’s face meaning cyber bullying has become the most common type of bullying in the world.

But the biggest reason why I believe that children should be banned from using the internet is because it is not safe. Children could see inappropriate images, play on games that aren’t rated their age or could click on links or pop ups.

Harrison wrote:

I think the internet should be banned,because kids could go on silly images and rude pictures.Dr Jack M,says the internet should be banned because kids could get a virus in their mum or dads laptop or whatever they have got.Mr AP that stands for Adam Pormiski,says the internet shouldn't be banned,because it can help with learning with homework,just like our school website and sumdog.

Don't go on silly things,because it could ruin your whole life time as being a kid.You should always have an adult at the side of you when you go on the internet,because they can see what you go on.If you play the game talking tom or angala or whatever you've got,delete it strait away!You should delete it because say if you stand outside your front door and you are playing one of those games,the cats eyes can move around and see what street you live on,and your name oh and the number of your door.

So that's why you should always be safe on the internet.
Yours sincerely Harrison W.

James wrote:

Since the arrival of the internet in 1969 there has been much arguments as to whether or not it should be banned for children , and this is because children could do some things that they are not supposed to be doing.

Firstly, children on the internet could spend parents money on things that say free whatever the item is. Therefore children shouldn't be allowed on the internet. There is factual information that, children can get cyber bullied on the internet and around 40 percent of the children every year get bullied by the internet, text messages and Instagram.

On the other hand, the Internet has benefiting effects to a child's brain so if people ban the internet children won't be able to learn anything more than they do now. Also children won't be able to go on sum dog.

In conclusion I hope that you have considered the points above and are all stuck on the choice of whether or not to ban the internet for children.

Contact the School

St Paul's Catholic Primary School

Miss M Flynn (Headteacher)
St Paul's Catholic Primary School
Turner Lane
Hyde
SK14 4AG, United Kingdom

Main Contact: Mrs L Clowrey (Office Manager)

Tel: 01613682934
admin@st-pauls-hyde.tameside.sch.uk